As pet owners, we all want to ensure the safety and well-being of our furry friends. This does not only mean taking care of them day-to-day but also being prepared in case something unexpected happens. One way to do that is by having a first aid kit specifically designed for our pets and making sure it’s on hand in your home as well as when you take your pet out. In this blog, we will discuss the essential items that should be included in your pet’s first aid kit and why our Cat or Dog Gel is a great addition to it.
First, let’s discuss the basic items that should be included in your pet’s first aid kit:
- Sterile cotton pads and gauze: essential for cleaning and dressing wounds. Cotton pads can be used to clean the wound, while gauze can be used to apply pressure, dress the wound and prevent infection.
- Adhesive bandages: once a small wound, cut or graze has been cleaned and dressed, apply an adhesive bandage to keep everything in place. Human plasters won’t do the trick, so grab yourself a specialised elastic self-adhesive bandage for pets and keep it on hand.
- Scissors: especially necessary when out and about, add some scissors to be able to cut bandages and gauze to the correct size.
- Tweezers and tick removal tool: if your pet gets a splinter or a tick, removing it as soon as possible can save you a lot of trouble. For ticks, we strongly recommend you get a tick removal tool as these reduce the risk of infection and Lyme disease – plus, they are very handy in case you get bitten yourself.
- Antiseptic solution: an antiseptic solution can be used to clean wounds and prevent infection – especially handy when there is no (clean) water at hand.
- Digital thermometer: as with humans, taking your pet’s temperature can be helpful in determining if they are sick or injured.
- Emergency contact information: make sure to include the phone numbers of your veterinarian and any emergency veterinary hospitals in your area.
Now, let’s talk about our personal favourite addition: our Cat and Dog Gel. This product is endlessly versatile, gentle on your pet’s skin yet incredibly powerful. It contains antibacterial Apple Cider Vinegar and skin-boosting Sea Buckthorn Extract, a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Finally, the cooling Gel texture of the skin will soothe red, sore and inflamed skin, encouraging your pet to leave the area alone instead of further agitating it by licking or biting. The combination of these powerful natural ingredients and cooling properties will give your pet’s damaged skin the best chance of a speedy recovery!
The Gel can be used on small cuts and wounds, scabs, grazes, sores, rashes and hives, hot spots, bug bites, nettle stings, red hot skin, sore skin, itchy and dry skin and to soothe the symptoms of skin allergies. It can also be used on sensitive areas such as the face (folds), around the eyes and on the paw pads. Pump a small amount of the Gel onto your fingers and gently massage it into the affected area. The Gel will be absorbed quickly, providing immediate relief and promoting healing and a healthy, balanced skin. You can also use a cotton pad to apply the Gel.
In conclusion, having a first aid kit specifically designed for your pet is an essential part of being a responsible pet owner. If you don’t have one yet, we recommend you grab a pouch and get these basic items together - and consider adding our Cat or Dog Gel to handle any skin-related accidents!